Science & Engineering Research Center
The Science & Engineering Research Center (SERC) provides research funding for undergraduate and graduate students engaged in research with faculty members in the TCU College of Science & Engineering.
Funding opportunities are offered twice annually: early in the fall and spring semesters. The application process includes:
- A project summary
- A detailed budget request
- An official student transcript
- Letter of recommendation and a mentoring plan from the CSE faculty member
SERC was originally funded through a grant from the TCU Vision in Action Strategic Initiative Fund from 2006 – 2010. In fall 2012, the Dean of the CSE decided to revive the program, initially through funds provided from the Dean’s office, but subsequently also with funds from the academic departments in the CSE.
Since 2006, SERC has funded 673 undergraduate student projects in the CSE. About half of the undergraduate projects at each of the College’s annual Student Research Symposia are funded by SERC.
Grant Recipient Information
Each SERC project has been assigned a grant number. You will find it on the award email.
- April 1, 2022 (Purchase Order deadline)
- April 30, 2022 (Invoice and reimbursements deadline)
- Complete a Purchase Order request. This is the preferred procedure:
- Download form here.
- Enter your SERC grant Number, Student name, and Faculty Mentor name where indicated.
- Faculty Mentors should enter their name and sign the PO request where indicated (lower right-hand approver).
- Email or scan the completed hard copy of the form to Kathy Ferguson in the CSE Dean’s Office.
- Note: It is important that you send your PO request to Kathy Ferguson; please do not send to Accounts Payable or your Departmental office.
- Your request will be processed and you will receive a PO number (and a hard copy of the PO) in return after processing.
- Submit a reimbursement request for items purchased by you or your faculty mentor with personal funds.
- Submit invoices for items purchased from vendors without a PO (vendor is on direct bill).