BS in Data Science
The Bachelor of Science degree program in Data Science is designed to prepare graduates for a broad set of careers involving the analysis of data.
Requirements for a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Data Science
This program requires a minimum of 39 hours in Computer Science and 27-28 hours in Mathematics.
The required Computer Science courses are:
- CITE 30103 Unix Linux System Administration
- COSC 10403 Introduction to Programming
- COSC 20203 Techniques in Programming
- COSC 20803 Data Structures
- COSC/MATH 30103 Introduction to Data Science
- COSC 30603 Database Systems
- COSC 40023 Data Mining and Visualization
- COSC 40403 Analysis of Algorithms
- COSC 40503 Artificial Intelligence
- COSC 40523 Deep Learning
- COSC 40943 Software Engineering
- COSC 40993 Senior Design Project
In addition, students must take three additional hours of approved Computer Science electives at the 30000 level or above.
The required Mathematics courses are:
- MATH 10524 Calculus I
- MATH 20123 Discrete Mathematics I
- MATH 20524 Calculus II
- MATH 30123 Discrete Mathematics II
- MATH 30224 Linear Algebra
- MATH 30803 Probability
- MATH 30853 Statistics
Students must also take at least one class from the following list:
- MATH 30524 Calculus III
- MATH 40223 Applied Linear Algebra
- MATH 40663 Numerical Analysis
- MATH 40853 Regression and Time Series
- MATH 40883 Predictive Modeling
All students with this major will be advised by Liran Ma in the Department of Computer Science.